Thursday 11 June 2009

Being a grown-up

Is something that I widely acknowledge is not as much fun as I thought it would be when I was six and insistent that I could eat a 'big persons' meal. I've done it quite well though, and on occasions even convince myself that this grown-up Rebecca taking on the world is in fact real. Then I throw my toys because working is inconvenient to holiday plans, or go out dancing and drinking too many mojitos and am happily reminded that I've yet to become one of 'them' aka a grown-up.

Had a very odd experience earlier with the girls I'm coaching when something really horrible happened, cue floods of tears. In all honestly I was as upset as they were but found myself being the calming influence and systematically building them back up to go out to bat again tomorrow. Whilst this was successful and went well it has left me with a horrible 'maybe I have grown up feeling after all' feeling, which made me feel a bit sad. So I rang the boy interest for a chat which made me feel slightly better.

I have decided that the only way in which to counter-act this is by creating as much mayhem and being as childish as possible this weekend when I meet up with uni friends. If I want to dress in an outrageously small dress in the cold, go on a bouncy castle in my bike dress, get sloshed in Pimms and then narrowly avoid cycling into the river I shall...

Am also thinking I need a proper thrashing so I can just let go and cry. Is it a bit odd that being beaten appears to have a similar calming effect to a massage on me?

3 comments:

Blue Fairy said...

Hi Sweetie. Ooh, I didn't know you had a blog - it's fab :-).

Ah, the double-edged sword of being grown up... you get to be independent, make your own choices, etc, but then you have to have a job, pay the bills, wade through bureaucracy, blah, blah, blah.

Have a fab weekend and be as crazy as you want - the child part of your personality never goes away and needs to be indulged every now and then ;-).

xxx

Jessica said...

The lesson of being a grwon up is as follows. When you are a child, you often say 'I don't want to' and your parents make you do it - for your own good. Afterwards, you swear that when you are a grown-up, you will never do anything you don't want to. Then suddenly, you are a grown-up and you discover that not only do you have to do things you don't want to, but that you have to *make yourself* do them. It's a hard lesson, but once you realise that, you can enjoy it a bit more and look forward to the sweets.

Proper Thrashings can be arranged quite easily to follow the weekend away. I suggest you contact Miss Anstruthers and book an appointment.

Jessica said...

Hmmm, I should also have added that Miss Anstruthers could deal with you on Monday privately, on Tuesday publicly or on Wednesday privately, after the public outing.Or at the weekend. See, lots of opportunities! You merely need to book the appointment.