Wednesday 16 September 2009

Corsets and vintage daydreams


I love this photo, mostly because it doesn't look very much like me. The black and white graininess somehow make it look quite vintage and I love the way the light is reflecting on my shoes.

It got me thinking about who I might have been...

A showgirl who had displeased her employer and was abasing herself to save her job, knowing full well she'd feel his crop for messing up her number after a few too many drinks...

An upmarket call girl, who knowing her client's tastes had laced herself tightly into her corset, using the door handle to tighten the laces before kneeling down and arching her back to wait...

A player in a 'Carrie's Story' esque world of slaves and auctions and obedience. Carefully preparing herself to await inspection from a potential master.

Or actually just Rebecca playing dress-up on holiday. I do love corsets though, something about the way they constrict your breathing and movement and force you to sit up straight and stand shoulders back, breasts forward is very sexy. Not to mention the flattering effect on waist size (trust me it's the only way I'll ever achieve a 24" waist!). All in all they tend to make me feel submissive in a very sensual way that wants to be stroked and abused and obedient and a 'good girl'. This contrasts fairly sharply to some of the characters I play during scenes who are very feisty (more about fighting in scenes later this week).

I think corsets are also evocative of a different era, long before the invasion of hoodies, trainers and jeggings. They weren't supposed to be comfortable and when worn for a long period of time could cause all sorts of health problems but they looked sexy and forced women to carry themselves in a certain way. They also restricted their activities - you could hardly row or climb mountains or play rugby very effectively in a corset. In real life I would have been the teenager repeatedly cutting her stays and evoking her governess's wrath but in a play sense they are fun and very effective for putting you into a certain part of your head.

So girlies is it just me or do corsets (and pretty knickers and stockings and all the other accoutrement's) make you feel different?

6 comments:

Scarlett De Winter said...

Best post timing ever, Rebecca, I've back from corset shopping for my first one (see latest P&P blog entry.) I got kind of over excited by the whole thing, corsets are so girly and sexy, as well as kind of harsh and cruel. So bascially, lots of things I like in a man(other than girly) in an item of clothing. What's not to love?

EmmaJane said...

Great pic, wow :)

Yes I completely agree corsets and suspenders make me feel very different. So sexy and confident, even if I'm being submissive.

Eliane said...

Not exactly worn my corset much to comment yet, but certainly suspenders make me feel sexier. I've totally given up tights at all now.
Love the picutre, by the way.

Rebecca said...

Thinks Scarlett's corset is pretty...

And that Eliane must wear hers right away!

Abel1234 said...

Girls wearing corsets.

Mmmmm....

Lost in daydreams...

:-)

sixofthebest said...

I would love you Rebecca to dress up in your favorite corset, old-fashioned knickers, and stockings, then have your knickers pulled down and bare your bottom to me. So that I could cane that voluptous bare bottom of yours, good and proper.