Monday 29 June 2009

Run Fat Girl Run...

Also known as blind stupidity meets latent masochism. I have just entered myself into the Royal Parks Half Marathon in aid of a very worthwhile charity (subject to my place being confirmed). Given I haven't run that far for five year I suspect this may be somewhat stupid but my 'must save the World' radar has come into play, which is always dangerous! I am running for a charity that sets up sport and play programmes to enhance the lives of children in the developing world who have been affected by poverty, war and disease so it's also very worthwhile.

It's also far enough to be a real challenge at my current level of fitness so will be a bit of a test, which I think is important if you're asking people to sponsor you. I can feel the shin splints already :-$

So bring on the motivational stickies on my bedroom wall! My mind is also drawn to the scene in 'Run Fat Boy Run' where Simon Pegg is chased by his coach on a moped who whacks him when he doesn't run fast enough...any volunteers?!

6 comments:

Eliane said...

Motivational stickies on the bedroom wall, or motivational sticks on the rear? I'm sure there will be volunteers for the latter...!

EmmaJane said...

Fair play to you!

I did a half marathon a couple of years back and I swear it's the nearest most non-kinky people ever get to masochism. I ran the last 6 miles in pain and the last 2 in tears. All worth it though. The high was almost as good as a serious beating although the recovery time took way longer!

Anonymous said...

Well done you! I'm sure you'll be fine - you're already extremely fit as it is ;)

xxx

Alex said...

Enjoying your blog, thanks. Alex

Paul said...

Rebecca, well done, a very worthy cause.
Warm hugs,
Paul.

Jessica said...

Yeah go for it, you mad masochist!